The Clifton Montessori Elementary School (CMES) is based on the highly-successful educational methods of Dr. Maria Montessori. Montessori emphasizes learning through all five senses. Children in Montessori classes learn at their own, individual pace and according to their own choice of activities from hundreds of possibilities. Learning is an exciting process of discovery, leading to concentration, motivation, self-discipline and a love of learning. Montessori classes place children in three-year age groups: ages 3-6, ages 6-9, and ages 9-12, forming communities in which the older children spontaneously share their knowledge with the younger ones. Montessori represents an entirely different approach to education. It is anticipated that by the time the entering three and four year-old students reach age 12, they will have the option to continue their Montessori School experience with us.
- Learning schedule built around three-hour concentrated work periods
- Multi-age classes
- Students as independent, self directed learners
- Integrated Academic and Social Curriculum
- Teachers certified through State of Connecticut and Association Montessori Internationale
- Active parent involvement is required as defined by the School Compact
“The secret of good teaching is to regard the child’s intelligence as a fertile field in which seeds may be sown, to grow under the heat of flaming imagination. Our aim therefore is not merely to make the child understand, and still less to force him to memorize, but so to touch his imagination as to enthuse him to his inmost core.”